Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Visitor Q

I just finished Visitor Q and I don’t even know what to say. I have seen several other Miike films and have liked them all in some degree or another. I don’t understand Visitor Q at all. I kept wanting to turn it off as I watched it both because it was completely disturbing but also because it seemed it was going nowhere. I can handle disturbing, even just plain fucked up but there has to be a point or if not a point then some sense of dark humor. Nothing about Visitor Q is funny and while there may be a point hidden within, it just doesn’t make up for 85 minutes of repulsivity.

As to plot, Visitor Q is more a series of random scenes that are strung together and connected by the fact that these people are family. Graphic incest, necrophilia, and physical abuse are the primary happening in these scenes and it all seems to be for no reason other than just because. The lack of a compelling plot in addition to the obvious, makes these scenes practically unbearable to watch and certainly never offers any kind of payoff for having done so. Now I just wish I could reclaim 90 minutes of my life.

No comments: